[OSM-dev] API 0.7 brainstorming

Karl Guggisberg karl.guggisberg at guggis.ch
Thu Dec 30 11:11:59 GMT 2010

I agree that there aren't major flaws in API 0.6 which would immediately
call to action. I'm aware of one annoying issue, though. Clients like JOSM
have a hard time detecting whether an upload succeeded or not if, for any
reason, the HTTP connection is interrupted. This is significant in practice
because it is often the cause for duplicate uploads and for large sets of
duplicate nodes. I've seen related complaints on the OSM and the JOSM lists
and there are JOSM trac tickets discussing the problem in detail.

I feel that a fix for this problem would justifiy an API 0.7, even if it was
just by extending API 0.6 with a new upload protocol, leaving anything else
untouched, and regardless of whether the database layer is redesigned or
not.

-- Karl