[OSM-dev] Ways and tags to separate tables?

Jukka Rahkonen jukka.rahkonen at mmmtike.fi
Thu Feb 4 10:34:32 GMT 2010

Hi,

Osm2pgsql is fine and fast utility for importing OSM data into PostGIS, but it
is mainly made for Mapnik rendering. For that it is OK to import just a subset
of tags and make a wide schema with an own column for each tag.  However,
sometimes it would nice to get all the tags available in some database.

Has anybody made yet a tool which separates ways and tags to different tables?
The way tables could contain just the geometries and OSM_IDs, perhaps separated
to points, lines and polygons, and tag tables would hold the tags by using
OSM_ID as a foreign key. Perhaps relations should be pushed to a fourth table
which accepts all kind of things, including geometry collections. Spatialite
would be an ideal output for me but I an not sure if is could take in very big
datasets. I have had troubles in creating bigger that 5 gigabyte spatialite
databases so perhaps PostGIS would be more safe alternative.

-Jukka Rahkonen-