[OSM-dev] GSoC'10

Graham Jones grahamjones139 at googlemail.com
Sat Feb 6 19:35:09 GMT 2010

Dane,
All offers of help welcome thank you!

I have made a start at a wiki page to collate the OSM application to Google
Summer of Code, and start to collect project ideas (
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Google_Summer_of_Code/2010).   Please
feel free to add any ideas to that.

I haven't been through previous lists of suggestions yet - I think it would
be worthwhile to trawl through those and add ones that are still relevant.

As to whether it is more useful to get Mapnik registered in its own right or
not, I am afraid I do not know - I only got involved late on in last year's
GSoC so have no experience of the application process - Maybe Ian Dees or
someone with more experience of the GSoC application process can comment?
I suppose it depends on two things - (1) how likely mapnik is to be accepted
on its own and (2) what 'we' regard as the scope of OSM?   Personally I
think we should include tools that are used to process OSM data, which would
include mapnik, but others may disagree!

Regards

Graham.

Dr. Graham Jones
Hartlepool, UK