[OSM-dev] Mirroring OpenStreetMap

Lars Lingner ml at lingner.eu
Mon Feb 8 18:15:59 GMT 2010

Ian Monroe schrieb:
> I'm going to talk tomorrow with the director of WiderNet, which has an
> eGranary Digital Library project that mirrors websites on to hard
> disks and sends them to schools and hospitals in the developing world
> (mainly Africa) which have slow or no Internet. So currently the
> eGranary is 2 terabytes containing Wikipedia, opencourseware, books
> etc. My thought was that OpenStreetMap would be a great addition to
> it. And OSM really has more to offer Africa then anywhere else due to
> lack of commercial maps on the web.
>
> I volunteered to perhaps implement this because I have the technical
> skills in general to be able to set it up, but not because I know much
> about OSM technology in particular. :) I'm finding the resources on
> rendering a bit hard to get into.
>
> Right now the important question is the feasibility. How big is a
> fully rendered OpenStreetMap? Or would it make more sense to render
> on-the-fly?

For offline usage of OSM I created an live cd environment. It uses
extracts from the planet file and covers only some parts for Europe for
now.

It uses PostgreSQL, MapServer to query and render the data and MapFish
as client to interact with the map.

Depending on the bounding box I could create a cd image for africa. You
don't need the whole planet on a disc, don't you? That wouldn't be possible.

You can grab a copy from http://www.lingner.eu/discosm/download/

Its a prototype to prove that you can have a live OSM rendering on a
disc. First thing you (and others) might struggle with: It is build only
for x86_64 architecture. As a minimum of RAM you'll need 1 GB. With more
than that, you can load everything into RAM and then its pretty fast.

If it fits your needs or at least some of them, let me know. In the last
weeks I had no time for new features but the OSM data is from around
20th January 2010

Putting the tiles on CD/DVD could be more complicated as you will need a
lot of those discs (sorry no current number available) depending on the
extent you need to cover.
I'm sure other users have some more ideas so you can compare different
solutions.

Lars