[OSM-dev] Fwd: Mirroring OpenStreetMap

Ian Monroe ian.monroe at gmail.com
Mon Feb 8 19:09:20 GMT 2010

2010/2/8 Raphaël Jacquot <sxpert at sxpert.org>:
> On Mon, 2010-02-08 at 12:45 -0600, Ian Monroe wrote:
>> On Mon, Feb 8, 2010 at 12:07 PM, Nic Roets <nroets at gmail.com> wrote:
>> > Hello Ian,
>> >
>> > I have done the sums, but the rendered map it is BIG ! Furthermore, it does
>> > not contain everything. (Nightclubs was just recently mentioned on talk) and
>> > it does not allow searching or routing.
>> >
>> > You are much better off with something like Navit, or my program, Gosmore,
>> > which is currently "under maintenance".
>> >
>> > The new version of Gosmore will have multipolygon support, 3D rendering and
>> > a few other nice features.
>>
>> Well my requirement is to have a web server that has the maps.
>> Basically I want my own openstreetmap.org. :)
>>
>> I do agree that being able to search is essential.
>>
>> Ian
>
> you'll need a rackfull of servers for each copy then ;)

Why? Remember my original question was about how much resources this takes.

I have the LiveCD from Lars and indeed postgresql and mapserv are
taking up major CPU time. It's fast enough for one user, but I'm a bit
worried about it scaling up to 10 simultaneous users (which is
probably a good goal).

Ian