[OSM-dev] lines on roads

Mike Warren spam at mike-warren.com
Fri Feb 12 23:47:39 GMT 2010

Richard Weait <richard at weait.com> writes:
> On Fri, Feb 12, 2010 at 12:18 PM, Mike Warren <spam at mike-warren.com> wrote:

>> Is there anything close to the google-map feature of drawing a line
>> (via openlayers, presumably) which follows roads?

> Like this? https://rejo.zenger.nl/topo/embed-osm-and-track-in-webpage.php
> Or like this? http://openlayers.org/dev/examples/drag-feature.html

Thanks, the first one is close-ish, but what I want to do is allow
users to propose a route through existing roads -- like the "draw line
along roads" tool in "my maps" in google...so basically dynamically
routing when you click a new point (or hover, depending on routing
speed). I've looked at the openlayers stuff and it looks really nice.

The missing piece would be dynamically producing a new (or replace
some of an) overlay by asking a routing server. I am wondering if
anyone has done this. The closest I've found is:

   http://openrouteservice.org/

...which is really pretty close.

Thanks,

--