[OSM-dev] OSM front page design concept

Robert Funnell robert.funnell at mcgill.ca
Sun Feb 21 12:54:20 GMT 2010

On Sun, 21 Feb 2010, SteveC wrote:

> ... It's very clear that nobody can convince Richard to actually
> write something any muggle would really want to use, you can scream
> at him to finish the mythical Potlatch 2 all you want, but he
> doesn't give a shit and lives on a boat in bliss. That's his choice,
> and it's totally fine, but if we all feel that way then we have to
> deal with the downside that every single day we lose tens of
> thousands of edits because of that monopoly on bad UI. All I'm
> suggesting is we sidestep the problem and connect people who can
> report a map bug but can't be bothered to deal with pain and
> suffering of potlatch with the people who can deal with it, at least
> until Richard gets his act together and stops fixing every stupid
> thing in the old codebase. ...

This comment is so completely over the top that for me at least it
completely invalidates anything else that SteveC might say. Potlatch
is an excellent tool for many users, myself included. It has been
improving steadily, and in my experience Richard Fairhurst is very
thoughtful and receptive.

I hope that OSM developers will forgive my butting in here - I'm just
a mapper, but with perhaps enough software-development experience to
appreciate Richard.

- Robert