[OSM-dev] [OSM-talk] OSM front page design concept

SteveC steve at asklater.com
Sun Feb 21 16:22:34 GMT 2010

On Feb 21, 2010, at 1:15 AM, Kai Krueger wrote:
>> the extra step of clicking where the problem is should not happen, we should get that from the bbox or center point plus zoom. So with some changes I think we can integrate OSB and expose it front and center to help fix up the bugs.
>
> Are you suggesting that it is a bad idea to specify a location of a map bug? Ok, so I will zoom into central london and tell you "there is a turn restriction missing". How is anyone supposed to help fix this without the detailed location information? Even google with their "report a problem" link lets you place a marker to highlight where the problem actually is. And perhaps the UI of the bug reporting should say at the top something like "Hey, you can report a map problem here, no problem, but even better would be if you click on the edit button and actually fix it your self. But if you feel uncomfortable to do that, just report it here and perhaps eventually someone else like you might come and fix it"

I like the latter, reporting the *exact* location as a extra feature. I think you'll get more bugs if you allow people to type descriptively the location rather than force a click on the location. It seems simple to all of us, but it isn't to the vast majority of people.

>> I'll add two more things
>>
>> 1) Using "google insight" (bing for it) and many other tools it's very very clear that the german community is by far and away huge. That's wonderful, but we don't have Germans all over Europe and the US - we need these tools out here Frederik to help us fix the map.
>>
>> 2) We have to be very clear that the openstreetmap.org website is _awful_.Horrendous. A total PITA.
>
> Actually, I am not that clear on why it is all that _awful_. I kind of like the design (of the main page). Yes, it has its issues and there are a few things I would like to see to improve the usability, that are better in your design. (The more prominent search bar, now that we  have the technical capabilities to support larger use of search and the inclusion of some Quality Assurance tools) But most of those could be added incrementally too.

It's the number one complaint I hear when I fly all over the world talking to people about OSM. Bad design, hard to learn editor tools (just go and look at Google/Waze stuff for comparison) and then the dreaded "when will you guys get your act together and change license"...

>> We're all here because we're persistent with it. But the wonderful thing is - we don't have to make the tools and site easy to use if we can expose a simple bug system.
>
> Yes, a simple bug system can help. In particular in those regions that are already "complete", are in "maintanace mode" and have sufficient established mappers that are actually looking for things to do. But in all other cases, which unfortunately at the moment are probably still the majority, just reporting problems won't actually get them fixed.
>
>> It's very clear that nobody can convince Richard to actually write something any muggle would really want to use, you can scream at him to finish the mythical Potlatch 2 all you want, but he doesn't give a shit and lives on a boat in bliss.
>
> I don't think this comment is fair, as Richard is doing a wonderful job, especially as a "one man volunteer". But I will leave it at that.

I'm sorry I disagree. I think it's great Richard volunteers of course, and puts all the effort in, but it has to be said that that effort would be 100x more useful in finishing potlatch 2 than more time on potlatch 1.

> I think what we are (partly) missing out on here is people technically capable on actually implementing any of those suggestions and also some people who are technically skilled enough to realize what is feasible for volunteers to achieve and what not and are willing to work closely with the implementers to get the UI user friendly. People just throwing ideas over the wall, can occasionally be useful, but I don't think that is our main problem. Although the general attitude of Open source programmers of "Oh the code is that way, so go and fix it your self" is not always helpful either.

That's exactly it - and why I made that point on the OGD post. Some projects have a 'design dictator' because nobody can ever agree web design issues. That's a bit harsh but it's one way to do it.

Yours &c.

Steve