[OSM-dev] Need special data extracts

Tim Teulings rael at edge.ping.de
Sun Feb 21 17:34:25 GMT 2010

Hello!

For a Open Source project idea of mine I need vector data (with a good
enough resolution to display a country on screen, so no high resolution
stuff) for
* Continent borders (earth shape)
* Country borders (together with country name)
* Country capitals with position and name
* Big (well known) cities
* Selected POIs

(a little bit more as you would see on a wall map of the world)

Searching the web I found natural earth data, which offers most of this, but
since I would like to use OpenStreetMap data and in fact it in another
project already used it I would like to get my data from OSM if possible.
However while it seems like the data is there, I have not yet found a more
convinient way than downloading a planet.osm and do some (heavy, heavy)
postprocessing (Postgres, coastline... :-/). As you might image this is more
than inconvinient (I likely need to by a new hard disk for this and have a
talk with my provider first ;-)).

Are there existing exports that already contain above data and are much
smaller than planet.osm? Is there another (simple) way to get parts of above
data?

I do not have a problem with sticking the different information together
from different sources, I'm also a programmer, I already have a *.osm
scanner and can postprocess data to further filter out. I can also downstrip
data to reduce resolution, but planet.osm is just too heavy for this (for
me).

I would appreciate any help, hint or link.

--
Gruß...
      Tim.