[OSM-dev] I converted the rails port to Git

Frederik Ramm frederik at remote.org
Mon Feb 22 08:14:50 GMT 2010

Hi,

Ævar Arnfjörð Bjarmason wrote:
> We discussed briefly on IRC where we would host our Git repositories
> if we hypothetically converted all of the OpenStreetMap SVN to
> it. Personally I think Github would be great for that, the alternative
> of just setting up our own git ssh:// and gitweb really misses the
> added benefit of the web-based forking, pull requests,
> multi-repostiory tracking and the other collaborative aspects of git
> which really shine through with Github.

I have no experience with Github. Is it "clean" from a privacy / owning
one's data viewpoint, i.e. doesn't try to sell stuff and annoy users
(like Sourceforge does with endless "buy services for ..." ads), doesn't
require committer's real names or e-mail addresses, and so on - or is it
one of those sites with an evil business plan where sooner or later
you'll be ashamed that you used them at all (as I have heard people say
about Sourcefourge)?

Because if there is any lingering doubt that Github might one day send
targeted e-mails advertising the latest Ruby book to those who have
checked in lots of Ruby code, or whatever, then I'd rather forgo these
"collaborative aspects".

(All this comes from someone with almost not Git exposure; if Git is
built in a way that even if OSM uses Github people can easily and
equally well contribute without registering at Github then the point is
probably less important. But if everyone is told "why don't you register
at Github then you can participate better" then Github really needs to
be squeaky clean for that to happen.)

Bye
Frederik