[OSM-dev] I converted the rails port to Git

Tom Hughes tom at compton.nu
Mon Feb 22 10:05:12 GMT 2010

On 22/02/10 00:46, Ævar Arnfjörð Bjarmason wrote:

> On Mon, Feb 22, 2010 at 00:09, Tom Hughes<tom at compton.nu>  wrote:
>
>> On 21/02/10 22:30, Ęvar Arnfjörš Bjarmason wrote:
>>
>>> We discussed briefly on IRC where we would host our Git repositories
>>> if we hypothetically converted all of the OpenStreetMap SVN to
>>> it. Personally I think Github would be great for that, the alternative
>>> of just setting up our own git ssh:// and gitweb really misses the
>>> added benefit of the web-based forking, pull requests,
>>> multi-repostiory tracking and the other collaborative aspects of git
>>> which really shine through with Github.
>>
>> Well apparently we can setup our own github if we want, but I will need to
>> look at that.
>
> It's possible to set up your own ssh:// or git:// server and a Gitweb
> installation. Github however provides a lot more on top of that,
> mainly having to do with the<buzzword>social</buzzword>  aspects of
> coding. I.e. it's really easy for anyone to fork your repository and
> easy for you to monitor what they're doing and merge stuff back if you
> want.

I was actually referring to http://fi.github.com/ which Shaun had
pointed out on IRC but I hadn't realised you had to pay for it.

> Of course you want a more reliable backup than just counting on
> commiters to have a recent copy. It's easy to do this by setting up a
> cronjob somewhere that does "git pull" from github to a local copy
> somewhere every hour or so, that's how I backup my repositories on
> Github.

I realise we can do backups that way, I'm just worried that it's going
to be a pain if we've got to maintain a vast list of gits to pull rather
than just having one directory tree that we need to backup.

Tom

--
Tom Hughes (tom at compton.nu)
http://compton.nu/