[OSM-dev] need some javascript help

Nick Whitelegg Nick.Whitelegg at solent.ac.uk
Wed Feb 24 16:10:33 GMT 2010

>Another cleaner option is to use all that AJAX magic stuff to load the
>content in a <div> rather than in an <iframe>.

>May I suggest you the "ajax for dummies" book? It's a nice hands-on
>introduction to this javascript stuff.

AJAX is easy. ;-)
Particularly if you use prototype (www.prototypejs.org). I don't think
I've needed to use an iframe in my life. :-)

See, for example (absolute bare-bones example, you have to enter one of
the three specified destinations and "010708" for the date):

http://www.free-map.org.uk/course/ajaxexample.html

The javascript queries the server with what the user entered in the 2 text
fields, the server sends a load of text back and loads it into a specified

Nick