[OSM-dev] OSM changeset spec

Marten Hogeweg mhogeweg at esri.com
Thu Feb 25 20:55:49 GMT 2010

Hi group,

I'm looking for information on the use of change sets to provide for editing OSM content in desktop GIS using a workflow like the one below:

-          Checkout a visible extent from OSM through the API into a local store (done)
-          Edit in desktop GIS using its editing tools (check)
-          Convert edits to changeset (some scripts seem to do this, but am looking for info on it)
-          Post the changeset to OSM using the API

If you have pointers to more detailed info on the changeset structure I'd appreciate seeing those.

I've seen JOSM and osmChange (http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Change_File_Formats). Can those be posted to the OSM API directly and will those be recognized as valid changesets?

Thanks,

Marten Hogeweg
ESRI Inc.