[OSM-dev] OSM front page design concept

Tirkon tirkon33 at yahoo.de
Sun Feb 28 09:40:16 GMT 2010

SteveC <steve at asklater.com> wrote:

>I've posted a design concept with description and invitation for feedback here:
>
>http://opengeodata.org/new-design-concept-for-openstreetmaporg
>
>Yours &c.
>
>Steve

Possibly I am too much in a science fiction. But I could imagine the
OSM homepage as a kind of WMS-service with a user-configurable map. A
menue will take control, which items are shown, highlighted, four
color theoremed [1] i.e. urban quarters of a town (with one quarter
highlighted). Thus the cycling-map, the public transport (ÖPNV Karte),
the features of openstreetbrowser and all the other special maps could
be integrated, configureable with much more precision as provided by
these maps i.e. show only streets, motorways, motorways and rivers
etc.

Pre-defined and stored configuration-views could be made available by
click. These configurations could be sent to other users, be
downloadable or integrated in a website or integrated as a thumb view
in a Wikipedia article i.e. an article of an urban-quarter (urban
quarters four-color-shown [1] with the one highlighted. (latter map
mirrored by the existing Wikimedia-OSM mirror server). Further a route
planning software and the comparisation http://sautter.com/map/ could
be integrated in the WMS-map.

DropDowns with the properties and (links to) history of an object and
links to the map-view of the involved relations could appear on
mouse-hover. All that makes it easier to change from one of these maps
to Potlatch without loosing the "point of interest". The configurable
WMS-map could also be the background of Potlatch and JOSM and -
activated by click -  allow only editing the shown objects.

Possibly other free graphic-software projects could be asked for
support by an "official request" of OSM.

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Map_of_USA_with_state_names.svg
[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Four_color_theorem