[OSM-dev] Major improvements to MapOSMatic

Florian Lohoff f at zz.de
Tue Jan 5 14:46:18 GMT 2010

On Tue, Jan 05, 2010 at 01:51:40PM +0100, Thomas Petazzoni wrote:
> We have been told by other users from Germany that level 8 doesn't work
> for large cities such as Berlin or Münich. I've been told that level 6
> was the appropriate level for Germany.
>
> On the other hand, on http://nominatim.openstreetmap.org, I only find a
> level 4 boundary for Berlin (level 4 seems to be the Länder level,
> because Berlin is at the same time a city and a Länder).
>
> Why level should be used in Germany ?

IMHO there is no such thing as the "right level" - You are creating
a map of your "neighbourhood" which might be just some streets, your suburb
or city, or county.

I'd vote for showing the different admin level boundarys available so the user
can choose.

And if it were christmas i'd say - dont simply use the max extent of the
boundary but rather show the user the box on a map which "would be mapped"
and let it be moved and resized.

I made a map of "Langenberg Germany" which has some odd shape and some parts
of it are of no real interest - the result is that we have a very large extent
of the map but the interesting parts are just 2-3 squares in the middle.

Flo
"Es ist ein grobes Missverständnis und eine Fehlwahrnehmung, dem Staat
im Internet Zensur- und Überwachungsabsichten zu unterstellen."
- - Bundesminister Dr. Wolfgang Schäuble -- 10. Juli in Berlin