[OSM-dev] amazon AMIs for a full blown openstreetmap.org-like server

Jonathan-David SCHRODER jonathan.schroder at gmail.com
Fri Jan 8 12:14:23 GMT 2010

Hello,
Please tell me if I'm replicating any initiative or doing something the
wrong or a not-so-good way.

I've started this week from an EBS backed (or "boot")  Ubuntu 8.04 image
ami-f6ad409f.
I agree to give the .pem file for ssh connection to an instance to anyone
willing to collaborate.

My idea is to provide an EC2 EBS image with rails port(done) + tile
rendering setup(started) + rails port->tile rendering sync scripts(todo) +
easy config scripts (why not triggerable on startup with JSON config ala
tilecache.org) (todo, not sure I'll have time to it).
The list of commands to install is very long. I note down all the commands I
type so as to be able to one or more bash scripts to be able to reinstall a
similar solution on an Ubuntu N.NN later (by assuming that commands/package
names for 8.04 are similar to those for 9.04 etc..). Maybe I'll have 3 bash
scripts such as : install_railsport_u804.sh, install_mapnik_u804.sh,
install_railsport_mapnik_sync.sh. And I'd need other scripts to go along :
setup_rails_port_u804.sh, setup_mapnik_u804.sh and
setup_rails_mapnik_sync_u804.sh...
What do you think of this ?

A recall on the requirements (reply to change them if you'd like to
collaborate or request something):
- postgres+osmosis+rails port (with 3 dbs : development, testing and
production) : filled with nothing for now. setup_rails_port_u804.sh would
have a simple calling syntax like :
       sudo setup_rails_port_u804.sh [--bz2url=
http://domain/someRegion.osm.bz2|--bz2file=/path/to/file.osm.bz2<http://domain/someRegion.osm.bz2%7C--bz2file=/path/to/file.osm.bz2>]
[--forceResetDB (false if omitted)]
[--dbName=development(default),other,dbs,to,make,identical,too]
[--guessDBLoginPassFromRailsConfig (default is true)]
- mapnik tile rendering setup. I want to have a simple script to insert a
bz2 + tell to use some style sheets + to tell to render at z=N (max zoom)
- cron'able synced file making the Mapnik setup be filled with the Rails
ports's data. I plan to get inspiration from the myanmar scripts for this.

I'm sorry to repeat this, though, please reply if you know of some linux
image (on EC2 or not) hanging somewhere which almost does what I'm trying to
achieve and that image is easy to redeploy (ex : .iso or vmware/virtual bos
EC2 ami).

Jonathan