[OSM-dev] amazon AMIs for a full blown openstreetmap.org-like server

Stefan de Konink stefan at konink.de
Fri Jan 8 13:51:22 GMT 2010

Op 08-01-10 14:46, jamesmikedupont at googlemail.com schreef:
> I have been working on c++ code with rtrees and other nice things.
> depending on what you want to do with it, I think it is fair to make
> updates very slow if the rendering is very fast...

Do you mean small files as render tiles?

This is already what we do on tile.openstreetmap.nl; I have modified
renderd to render 'metatiles', but not to save them as metatiles. So on
disk I have all seperate tiles. My webserver, based if the file exists,
serves the file, or otherwise shoots in a render request like mod_tile
would do.

So the main difference is that I never extract tiles, and never compress
tiles. We still should plan some sort of benchmark to see if this method
is better or worse then meta tiles. I think its better because the
webserver is on less load, and the disk speed or filesystem should be
tuned anyway.

Stefan