[OSM-dev] phonetic gazateer, would be cool feature for nominatim

Brian Quinion openstreetmap at brian.quinion.co.uk
Fri Jan 15 02:09:39 GMT 2010

> Lucene uses Double Metaphone[1] (amongst others) and it works really
> nice across multiple languages. Certainly the best I've seen so far
> and the one OSMdoc is using in the next version.

I've just spent the last hour playing and this works a lot better than
I expected.  I've always avoided metaphone because I've been
suspicious of the simplistic categorisation of a word into a single
category but in practical tests it works most of the time - and fast
enough to be practical.

I'll have a go at implementing something in nominatim and see what I
can do to implement at least a 'did you mean ...' option.

--
 Brian