[OSM-dev] osm2pgsql deltas

Frederik Ramm frederik at remote.org
Sun Jan 17 12:32:47 GMT 2010

Hi,

Steve Hill wrote:
> The old hourly and minutely deltas had filenames based on their dates; the
> new ones don't.  Is there a sensible way to figuring out which deltas you
> need without downloading several hundred *.state.txt files?

Yes, use Osmosis to do it automatically.

Initialise with

osmosis --rrii

then modify the configuration file manually, and find the proper
state.txt file that approximately matches your version of the data
(explained approx. 100 times on this list, google for --rri), then
in regular intervals run

osmosis --rri --simc --wxc my-change-file.osc

and apply the my-change-file.osc to your database using osm2pgsql.

> The best I can come up with is trying to do a binary cut to reduce the
> number of downloads needed to find the right delta, but that's messy as
> hell compared to how trivial it was when we had date based names.

The new method takes a moment to set up but after that it's even easier
than the old.

Bye
Frederik