[OSM-dev] osm2pgsql deltas

Frederik Ramm frederik at remote.org
Mon Jan 18 10:15:17 GMT 2010

Hi,

John Smith wrote:
> 2010/1/18 Frederik Ramm <frederik at remote.org>:
>> You are right in so far as Osmosis cannot mix daily/hourly/minutely
>> diffs, if will always get the minutely if that's what you configure,
>> thus incurring a slight overhead because of the larger number of HTTP
>> requests, but that's all.
>
> He meant he can't use daily diffs to catch up more quickly, he has to
> use individual diff files which is much slower to process thousands of
> diff files compared to a single daily file.

Yes, and I have explained about 1.000 times that what comes out of
Osmosis WILL be one single (daily or 1.73daily or 2.918daily or
0.002daily depending on how often you call it) file. If you run Osmosis
--rri --simc exactly once per day, then what you will get is exactly
what you had in your daily diff before; the only difference being that
Osmosis will assemble that from hourly or minutely diffs (depending on
your config) and thus will load marginally more data from the server.

Bye
Frederik