[OSM-dev] Tag for building name

Julio Costa Zambelli julio.costa at openstreetmap.cl
Thu Jul 1 15:02:36 BST 2010

Hello Yuliya,

As a mapper I normally use the name tag, and would only think of using the
housename tag for those rare (here) british kind of places where a building
is identified as "Something House" (for example "Hedley House") instead of
using a housenumber.

If the housenumber is present and there is no clear housename ("Something
House") I would not use the housename tag.

Here in Chile, most of the apartment buildings have names, but they all also
have housenumbers, and I would always use the housenumber tag since that is
the relevant reference for everyone. You always give the address with the
housenumber and no one will ever do a search using the building housename.

Cheers,

Julio Costa
OpenStreetMap Chile
http://www.openstreetmap.cl/