[OSM-dev] North America gone in geofabrik and tagwatch

Frederik Ramm frederik at remote.org
Tue Jul 13 08:49:45 BST 2010

Alan,

Alan Mintz wrote:
> I just tried to look at tagwatch for North-america and got a 404,
> possibly because there is no north-america directory at
> http://download.geofabrik.de/osm/ either. What's up?

We haven't been doing North America for a while now. It puts
considerable strain on our processing chain and is little used (i.e. we
use almost as much bandwidth uploading the stuff to the server every day
as people use for downloading). Most people who have computing resources
sufficient for North America can also process the whole planet so we
thought we needn't bother.

It is true that this sabotages tagwatch as well, we'll see what we can
do to amend that. Tagwatch runs on the German OSM dev server which is
also heavily used. Do you think the US community would be willing and
able to run tagwatch-US somewhere on their servers? It could perhaps
even be done state-by-state based on the Cloudmade extracts, or of
course based on a North America extract from the planet.

Bye
Frederik