[OSM-dev] North America gone in geofabrik and tagwatch

Nic Roets nroets at gmail.com
Tue Jul 13 12:26:16 BST 2010

On Tue, Jul 13, 2010 at 12:35 PM, Mike N. <niceman at att.net> wrote:
>  Routing: http://www.openrouteservice.org/ - includes a workable pedestrian
> routing.   But eventually routing may arrive on the main OpenStreetMap
> server.

Note that for routing services to be added to the main osm site, we
will in all likelyhood need a new server. If the intention is that is
should only be used to debug the data, then a machine the size of
Errol should be enough (24GB RAM, 8 cores).

But my understanding is that the community wants a public service. The
good thing about that is that we can then go to government and any
other organization concerned with congestion and pollution (CO2 etc)
and show them how people are using our server to plan their journeys.
Then we can make a good case that our service is having small but
measurable effect in cutting driving time and consequently congestion
and pollution. When you compare that to the cost: A 40km journey can
be calculated in 50ms for an approximate cost of 0.00001 cent.