[OSM-dev] [Maposmatic-dev] Re: Growth of on-disk size of OSM database

Ævar Arnfjörð Bjarmason avarab at gmail.com
Wed Jul 14 15:00:18 BST 2010

On Wed, Jul 14, 2010 at 10:56, Thomas Petazzoni
<thomas.petazzoni at enix.org> wrote:

> Unfortunately, as far as I understand, doing a "vacuum full" is going
> to block accesses to the database for a fairly long amount of time
> (days ?). So the best solution is probably to regularly (every few
> months) do a new full import in a separate database, and switch to this
> new database when the full import is completed.

This is why PostgreSQL administrators usually put VACUUM FULL; in
their cron.daily, but that doesn't help you at this point.

You could also, as you say, import a new DB and swap the old one
out. That's what I do with my own (not full Planet) import.

Or you could use MySQL instead of PostgreSQL (if that even works
anymore). It doesn't use the same model for deletion as PostgreSQL, so
you'll reclaim your space without expensive VACUUM operations.