[OSM-dev] ESRI article sent by a friend

M∡rtin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Fri Jul 16 11:32:08 BST 2010

2010/7/12 Stefan de Konink <stefan at konink.de>:

> Op 12-07-10 14:15, Mike N. schreef:
>> If the filters are
>> predefined and the data is never shown for editing or rendering, why
>> have it?
>
> For the simple reason that there is not only one rendering of /the/
> OpenStreetMap map.

I can see the point in this, but I'd rather prefer an openimportmap
with a separate database, where you can upload all kind of rubbish and
keep the main OSM-db as clean as possible from imports. There are
actually a lot of mappers that go out and collect "unique"
geoinformation manually, and I think that this is the key feature of
OSM.

cheers,
Martin