[OSM-dev] mapnik image export failures (and fixes?)

Mikel Maron mikel_maron at yahoo.com
Mon Jul 19 07:43:23 BST 2010

Hi

Recently, very frequently, image export has been failing from the main site
(though it is working at the moment...)

The error has been ...

   Error: The load average on the server is too high at the moment. Please wait
a few minutes before trying again.
TomH and jburgess have explained that the script will not run if the server load
is above 20, and the tile server (which runs the export script) is frequently
above 20.

Since the export function is linked from the main site, imo we should consider
it a core service that should be available at some service level. Personally, we
use this feature often through Map Kibera.

What are possible solutions? Would it be ok to raise the server load threshhold
higher? Or do we need additional resources, either on the tile server itself, or
another machine?

Thanks
Mikel

== Mikel Maron ==