[OSM-dev] Own OSM Database Hardware/Software

bernhard zwischenbrugger bz at datenkueche.com
Tue Jul 27 17:25:38 BST 2010

Hi all

In October I will start a new course at my university.
The topic is "business application development" and we will do
serverside programming with ruby.

I'm the teacher of this course and now I have to plan it.
My idea is to use the OSM database and let the students "play" with this
data.
We will do some data mining, design interfaces (rest, json), add new
tables, benchmark tests, do projects, ...

Now my question:

What kind of hardware do I need for that?
Is a virtual host ok?
What's the minimum RAM, HD space?
Which Linux should I install?

How long does it take to load the data to the db?
How long does it take to create an index on a table?

I know, there are no exact answers for all this questions, but some
hints would be nice.

The first thing I have to do is to ask my boss for the hardware (or vhost).
If that's ok, I'm able to continue planing.

Bernhard