[OSM-dev] USGS fork of OpenStreetMap

Eric Wolf ebwolf at gmail.com
Thu Jul 29 04:18:02 BST 2010

The license issue makes it difficult to dedicate USGS resources for direct
contribution to OSM. Specifically, the data the USGS releases has to be
completely free from restrictions. The OODB license that OSM uses places
requirements on data consumers. There are people exploring shifting the USGS
license model but that may take an Act of Congress (literally!).

Of course, this means all of the data in a USGS fork can be put into OSM.
Also, any code changes we make would be offered to the community.

-Eric