[OSM-dev] OSM diagram usage

Ævar Arnfjörð Bjarmason avarab at gmail.com
Fri Jun 11 02:28:21 BST 2010

On Thu, Jun 10, 2010 at 20:58, Rodolphe Quiedeville
<rodolphe at quiedeville.org> wrote:
> Jeffrey Warren a écrit :
>> Hi all - i'm writing about OSM and was wondering if I could use the
>> diagram at:
>>
>> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/File:OSM_Components.png
>>
>> It's not marked as CC or anything. Would whoever owns it mind releasing
>> it or giving permission? Thanks much!
>
> Hi,
>
> At the page bottom you can read 'Content is available under Creative
> Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 2.0 license.' So the document is under CC.

That's for content, but doesn't apply to images unless otherwise
stated. At least that's the default MediaWiki convention.

The upload page[1] says "Use the description box to give details of
image copyright status.". Usually that means add a license.

There's a bunch of obviously non-free images on the wiki. Like
screenshots of closed source software whose images have no copyright
info.

Maybe we should be more explicit one way or the other, i.e. to state
that images are under the CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted. Or start
enforcing license tags on images.
1. http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Special:Upload