[OSM-dev] develop an application

Andy Allan gravitystorm at gmail.com
Thu Jun 17 09:50:55 BST 2010

On Wed, Jun 16, 2010 at 8:03 PM, Leonardo Gaona <leogaona at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello to all of the developer community, I would make some questions about
> how to develop an application using OSM, waiting for help with your answers
> and realizing that I am a novice on the topic of maps and also my English is
> not perfection.

Hi Leonardo, and welcome.

> I have the idea of developing a similar application that maps to OSM
> Transport routes on maps and still do not know how to begin, my question is
> what would be the first step?

Have you seen the following site? It draws public transport routes
(for railways, subways and buses) using OSM data for both the routes
and the rest of the map.

http://www.öpnvkarte.de/?zoom=11&lat=51.49811&lon=-0.10316&layers=BT

Is this the kind of thing you are interested in producing?

> You should follow the steps in the (OSM installation on your machine), or
> the other way if possible to integrate the existing map to my page and
> making the paths stored in my database on the maps.
> Looking forward to your response and assistance

There are many different ways to make maps with OSM, and some are more
complicated than others. The process of converting raw OSM data into a
map is known as "rendering", and a good place to start reading is on
the wiki

http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Rendering

You might find working with the full OSM data dump ("the planet file")
tricky, since it is large. You can get smaller portions, known as
extracts, from many places. See

http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Planet.osm#Extracts

Cheers,
Andy