[OSM-dev] How to earn undying fame

Lambertus osm at na1400.info
Mon Jun 21 17:42:28 BST 2010

On 2010-06-21 17:21, Emilie Laffray wrote:
> Without wanting to pour cold water on the idea, I would like to know
> what the load is a server that you have specified, and how many requests
> per second can you do? The traffic of the site means that the load will
> be very big and we might need more than one server in the end.
I'm currently pondering on a routing cluster (somewhat academic interest
on my part).

> In addition, you also have to modify Gosmore to remove dependencies like
> GTK as for a server they are not useful.
Gosmore, when used headless, doesn't need GTK. Libxml2 and g++ will do
nicely.

> The app will need to be
> modified to work on a server condition by adding FCGI abilities for
> example, which is not necessarily trivial.
You mean running Gosmore as a service and interface with it through e.g.
pipes? That could mean some speed boost, but I'm using PHP to interface
with Gosmore and spawn a new process for each request without serious
impact, see:
<http://trac.openstreetmap.org/browser/applications/routing/yours/trunk/www/api/dev/gosmore.php>

Spawning Gosmore doesn't take that much time.

> Updating the database weekly might not be able to meet people
> expectation like the instant rendering that we have.
> It is more than just a tab to add.
Yeah well, our gazetteer isn't updated instantly either, not even
weekly. Also, I would be seriously impressed if someone could come up
with a routing engine that can have it's database updated in situ and
still be able to service the whole world with a performance that doesn't
drive everyone away instantly. Please tell me if you know of such an
opensource routing engine.