[OSM-dev] discrepancy in Tile Server.

Samir Faci (Dev) dev at esamir.com
Thu Jun 24 20:11:28 BST 2010

So.. I spent a bit more time investigating this.  My initial numbers
were off, but I do have tiles missing from Z11.

If my math is right, z11 should have 65636 meta files.  I tried
re-generating the tile set for that particular zoom level.  I renamed
dir 11 to move it aside, and requeued up Z11 to be rendered using
render_all.

I have renderd running as a service.  It should be working fine, since
that's how I generated the entire tile set initially.

/usr/bin/render_list -v --all -n 4
--socket=/var/run/renderd/renderd.sock --min-zoom=11 --max-zoom=11  >&
log.txt

Now, despite the fact that I didn't see any errors in the log file.
It didn't create any new files on the file system.  Does it only
render files past the last time it ran?

Do I need to touch the planet-import-complete file? Or do anything
special to reset the state back in time?

--
Samir

On Tue, Jun 22, 2010 at 4:42 PM, Jon Burgess <jburgess777 at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, 2010-06-22 at 22:33 +0100, Jon Burgess wrote:
>> On Tue, 2010-06-22 at 12:13 -0500, Samir Faci (Dev) wrote:
>> > I'm in the process of updating a tile server switching from a Centos
>> > with code/utils that are probably 6 months out of date maybe a bit
>> > more, to a new lucid setup.
>> >
>> > Something similar to:
>> > http://weait.com/content/build-your-own-openstreetmap-server
>> >
>> > Now, everything works fine, and I use renderd + render_list to
>> > pre-generate a few zoom levels.
>> >
>> > The part that perplexes me is that it seems that that some of the
>> > .meta files are missing, compared to the Centos machine.
>> >
>> > I pre-rendered 0-13 and on the Centos machine and it created:  3112877
>> > meta files.  On the updated Ubuntu setup (which is more current) 0-13
>> > generated: 1394208.
>> >
>> > Did the algorithm change?  Is there an explanation for the large
>> > discrepancy besides... just an error in my setup?
>>
>> According to my maths, the total of all meta tiles for zoom 0 - 13 is
>> 33074069.
>
> Sorry - make that only: 1398104. I added up the wrong column on my
> spreadsheet. This makes your Ubuntu numbers seems about right. I'd look
> to see whether you are counting the right files on the CentOS setup.
>

>> If the load average on the machine gets too high while doing
>> the rendering then some tiles can get lost, but it should print a
>> warning message each time this happens.
>>
>> I think render_old will let you run it a second time and it'll just
>> request the missing tiles to be rendered (provided the planet timestamp
>> file is older than the ones you generated before).
>>
>>       Jon

Samir Faci
*insert title*
fortune | cowsay -f /usr/share/cows/tux.cow