[OSM-dev] Field lengths in Rails port

Andy Allan gravitystorm at gmail.com
Wed Jun 30 10:13:05 BST 2010

On Wed, Jun 30, 2010 at 9:11 AM, John Smith <deltafoxtrot256 at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 30 June 2010 17:46, Andy Allan <gravitystorm at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Postgres ignores them, IIRC, since it doesn't have such a concept. I'm
>> sure one day some numbers will get too big for mysql, but hey.
>
> Doesn't MySQL support BigInt (64bit) and UUID (128bit) numbers?

What I meant to say is

"at some point in the future, the differences between the mysql rails
port database schema and the postgres rails port database schema may
prove to be significant, but for now both work for the values we
have".

Also,

"if and when any of the columns defined as smaller than 4-bytes for
mysql fill up, someone could easily write another migration to fix the
mysql schema. Such a migration would still be irrelevant to postgres,
which would continue to ignore any limit directives on the size of
integers".

There's no question that mysql is capable of supporting giant
integers, it's just that we specify the size in the rails_port
migrations. We also don't support the mysql backend any more (not that
it doesn't work, just that there's no reason to care about it any
longer).

Cheers,
Andy