[OSM-dev] Contours, hillshading and void filling

Steve Hill steve at nexusuk.org
Mon Mar 1 11:43:28 GMT 2010

On Mon, 1 Mar 2010, Andy Allan wrote:

> I'm pretty sure that gdal_translate here is using the .hdr and .prj
> files - otherwise where is the location information coming from?

Hmm.. Further investigation shows that it is magically using the .hgt and
.prj when reading a file with a ".bil" extension (even though it is
identical to the .hgt file).

However, if you point it at the .hgt file instead then gdal_translate
seems to parse the location data out of the file name anyway.  The only
difference appears to be that the resulting file contains
"AREA_OR_POINT=Point" instead of "AREA_OR_POINT=Area".

It seems that gdal_fillnodata.py outputs a tiff with "AREA_OR_POINT=Area"
if I point it at a .hgt file too...  (Still confused why it doesn't want
to work on tiff inputs though)

--

  - Steve