[OSM-dev] TRAPI status

Blars Blarson openstreetmap-dev at scd.debian.net
Thu Mar 4 03:52:57 GMT 2010

As some of you know, I was working on a fairly major rewrite of TRAPI.
Due to personal issues, the amount of time I spent on OSM dropped
dramaticly, and almost all of this was spent on the rewrite.  (I was
not keeping up with the mailing lists.)  This work was nearing
completion when the minute diffs became unavailable.  At that point, I
just stopped work on TRAPI in frustration and pretty much with OSM.

The replication diffs are poorly documented, require fetching twice as
many files, have no equevelent of the daily and hourly sets, and the
only way to figure out which one to fetch for a specific time is a
binary search of fetching many files.  I'm not sure a slower system
with a slow internet connection, such as I'm using for TRAPI
development, could ever catch up using replication diffs.

I am aware of the ugly hack others have added to the old version of
TRAPI to get it to use replication diffs.  There is zero chance this
will ever become part of my version of trapi.

This is just to let you all know TRAPI development has been suspended
and may never resume.

Blars Blarson			blarson at scd.debian.net

With Microsoft, failure is not an option.  It is a standard feature.