[OSM-dev] Student Project Ideas?

Steve Hosgood steve at tallyho.bc.nu
Wed Mar 10 17:30:47 GMT 2010

I've got an idea for a project - but I've no idea if it's "do-able" in
the scope of GSoC.

Basically: fix the "History" tab on the main slippy map. Currently, if
you hit that button you get a list of (what appears to be) every
edit-session whose bounding-box contains the bounding-box of the current
slippy-map view.

This is 99% useless!

Currently the list that you'll get given will contain all the edits to
the coastline of the continent containing your view, also all
robot-edits that affected the whole database (since they effectively
have a bounding-box of the whole world).

What you need is to generate a "dirty-tiles" list for every edit-session
in the database and only display the edit-sessions whose "dirty-tiles"
list includes tiles that you're looking at with slippy-map at that time.
Obviously, this is a crude description of a solution - many
optimisations would be needed if it was to be implemented for real.

Does that sound worthy?
Steve