[OSM-dev] project idea

Graham Jones grahamjones139 at googlemail.com
Thu Mar 11 22:22:12 GMT 2010

Thomas,
I think this suggestion is essentially to provide a 'default' set of tags
for ways depending on where the way is.
If the tag is not explicitly included in the way, the API will return the
default?

I can not help with the technical aspects of this, but it sounds like a fair
suggestion for a project working on extending the API - can someone that
knows about the API code comment?

Otherwise I see no problem with including something like this on the
potential projects list.

Graham

On 11 March 2010 15:10, Thomas Meller <thomas.meller at gmx.net> wrote:

> recently I discussed some functionality in the newbies list under the
> subject 'Re: [OSM-newbies] Maxspeed'.
>
> Does anyone agree on whether it is worth adding a project description on
> the Student Projects page?
> If yes, I will catch that task.
>

> Description in short:
>
> in every country, in several counties, in certain towns, there are
> properties characteristical for some object types of a certain kind.
> Using boundary objects, one could create a geographical-bound css-like
> object containing the tags to be used as defaults to overlay each such
> object's tags found inside of that boundary object.
>
> Task is to find a way of...
> - tagging such a boundary object
> - data representation in the OSM technical environment to serve queries for
> such objects
> - technical setup to support queries for such objects
> - API functions to support such queries
> - definition of use-cases to be used as introduction and as a pilot-project
> to test such a function's versatility
>
> Thanks for the feedback,
> Thomas
> --
>
> http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=47.172&lon=7.4395&zoom=15&layers=B000FTFTT&mlat=47.16677&mlon=7.43513
>
> GMX DSL: Internet, Telefon und Entertainment für nur 19,99 EUR/mtl.!
> http://portal.gmx.net/de/go/dsl02

Dr. Graham Jones
Hartlepool, UK
email: grahamjones139 at gmail.com