[OSM-dev] Spam in Users' Diaries and Users' Pages

Chris Jones rollercow at sucs.org
Tue Mar 16 12:04:30 GMT 2010

On 16/03/10 11:33, Lars Francke wrote:
>> Mostly likely we will wind up adding a moderation queue and moderating
>> new users first few diary entries.
>>
> I don't have any developer experience with it but Akismet[1] seems to
> work quite well on Wordpress and we seem to get the same kind of spam
> I regularly see in my Wordpress spam queue. They seem to be focused
> solely on blogs and especially Wordpress blogs but they have an
> API[2]. They also have Non-profit plans[3] but they require links to
> wordpress.com and akismet.com on every page.
>
> Would that be an option? I don't know any but I'm sure there are
> alternatives to Akismet out there.

I use a the Project Honey Pot IP blacklist and the SURBL URL blacklist
which catches around 85% of the post spam I see.

The rest is caught by a moderation queue for first post which contains a
URL from a new user.

http://www.projecthoneypot.org/httpbl_api.php

http://www.surbl.org/

(ja.net has a 'local' mirror of surbl -