[OSM-dev] Inserting OSM data

Tom Hughes tom at compton.nu
Mon Mar 22 14:34:40 GMT 2010

On 22/03/10 14:19, Andreas Höschler wrote:

> I have just logged into www.openstreetmap.org and found the GPS traces
> pane and the page on which one can upload gps traces. However, where
> can I upload OSM files to with ways having street names, way kind, ...?

There isn't one, because just uploading street data like that in bulk
doesn't really make any sense. You need to start by fetching the
existing data for any area and then update it by adding in any new roads
you have (making sure they properly connect to existing roads) and/or
improving tagging of existing roads.

There is an API which somebody has already given you a pointer to, but
it's not really something that can be fully automated - it really needs
human intervention to deal with the inevitable conflicts between the
data you are adding and the data which already exists.

Tom

--
Tom Hughes (tom at compton.nu)
http://compton.nu/