[OSM-dev] [Imports] Inserting OSM data

Gregory nomoregrapes at googlemail.com
Mon Mar 22 21:32:17 GMT 2010

On 22 March 2010 12:38, Andy Allan <gravitystorm at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Mar 22, 2010 at 7:12 PM, Ian Dees <ian.dees at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Almost 100% of the time these are imported to allow for the possibility
> of
> > future updates to the existing imports.
>
> Except, as you point out, they can't be used in any way for "future
> updates" since you've got no idea if the reference stays on the
> correct object. So I'd rather spend time explaining to people that
> external references are a waste of time than encouraging them any
> further.
>
> > In order to have this possibility,
> > there needs to be a consistent/persistent identifier for a particular
> > "thing" on the map. Since we don't have support for that in OSM this is
> the
> > next best thing.
>

> > Anyway, I'm not advocating for or against anything, simply explaining
> what
> > I've experienced as an importer and someone helping others import.
>
> Has anyone experienced sync working? I know a lot of people have
> imported with external IDs but I suspect that it's not going to work
> when they actually come to updating one way or the other.

I remember being told it was very important for imports, such as NAPTAN,
that can be updated. But I guess that is different, as they are actually the
official organiser/referencer of bus stops (and 4th parties might even use
that ref).

Back to the original poster, Andreas. I am still unclear about some things,
are you wanting to bring the data back out of OSM to use in your
system/company? If we could maybe look at how we could help you with that
then we might be able to understand the best way for you to add to OSM.

It would be interesting to know the rough geographic area your data covers.
We can then see if the area is near blank or has some dedicated mappers that
will be keen to help manually edit your import (e.g. check for imports).
Some people here have also requested an extract of the data to look at the
quality, or what it contains.

Hopefully your not getting overwhelmed by the replies here. Welcome to the
OSM community!

--
Gregory
osm at livingwithdragons.com