[OSM-dev] Doing street names from aerial imagery

Maarten Deen mdeen at xs4all.nl
Wed Mar 24 12:03:56 GMT 2010

On Wed, 24 Mar 2010 21:32:59 +1000, John Smith <deltafoxtrot256 at gmail.com>
wrote:
> On 24 March 2010 21:28, Tom Hughes <tom at compton.nu> wrote:
>> Wanting to divide the job among multiple people probably just makes it
>> harder, but as it's NP-complete to start with I'm not sure that matters
>> ;-)
>
> As Gregory points out it would be simple if it was a simple gridded
> layout and if there was only one person involved, but I was thinking
> about this from a mapping cake point of view, but simple sectioning
> may not be the most efficient routing.

Why not? It is efficient for people not to travel too much. That means
that once they are somewhere, they should stay in that area. And to be
efficient with the initial traveltime to that area, that area should not be
too small, and travel to a different area should be avoided.
Using these premises, I think the mapping cake (using slices and circles)
is a reasonable solution. Sure you will get some traverses along your path
that double those of other mappers, but I don't think you can avoid that
anyway.

Maarten