[OSM-dev] Doing street names from aerial imagery

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Wed Mar 24 15:06:48 GMT 2010

2010/3/24 John Smith <deltafoxtrot256 at gmail.com>:
> On 24 March 2010 21:47, andrzej zaborowski <balrogg at gmail.com> wrote:
>> geometry.  A complete algorithm would have to go through each possible
>> combination of all the routing parameters (oneways, traffic calming,
>> label on one end, label on the other end, etc etc) and find a solution
>
> Depending on the resolution of the imagery, you can some times work
> out direction and one way due to arrows painted on the road surface.
> Same with traffic calming...

You can do a lot based on aerial imagery, but even more things you
can't derive from them, or you can only derive if you know that it is
there. I started to map fences, walls and other barriers, but informal
openings in them, their height, whether it is a wall or a fence, etc.
you can mostly not get from aerial fotos. You might be astonished when
visiting an area for real that you previously traced from aerial
imagery how much interesting detail you actually missed.

cheers,
Martin