[OSM-dev] GSoC - Travel Time Analysis

Nic Roets nroets at gmail.com
Thu Mar 25 13:28:21 GMT 2010

On Thu, Mar 25, 2010 at 2:58 PM, John Robert Peterson <jrp.crs at gmail.com> wrote:
> If somone were finally to solve the problem of matching up traces to ways,
> we would be in a position to extend that to identifying some map errors,
> such as missing ways, or changed road layouts.

This has already been done. See the osmunda program that is part of gosmore.

Rerouting traffic based on collected track logs is essentially an
extension to this: Take the tracklog, divide it into 2 minute
intervals (or T seconds). Try to filter out the cases where the
vehicle was parked or the user was walking around. Ask the router how
long it should take to travel from the starting point to the end
point. If it's substantially less than T, mark the point (segment) as
a penalty point (avoid point) with an appropriate weighting. Serve
these penalty points to clients and routing servers. Then adjust the
penalty points according to time of day patterns etc.