[OSM-dev] sporadic wiki access problems?

Grant Slater openstreetmap at firefishy.com
Sat May 1 16:45:53 BST 2010

On 1 May 2010 16:32, Michael Kugelmann <MichaelK_OSM at gmx.de> wrote:
> Also yesterday there was some kind of "hang" short after lunch.
> And I would exclude network problems at my side because the observations
> had been made on totally different networks/providers on my side.
>
> Is there something known at the server side? Can it be fixed?

Yes, there was a problem but should hopefully now be fixed.
Unfortunately yesterday I was slow to respond. (day job and all)

1) Mediawiki Page hit counter is enabled. Seems under high load the
hitcounter table has been deadlocking, causing the wiki to slowly
ground to a halt. I've increased the '$wgHitcounterUpdateFreq' and am
considering disabling the page hit counter completely.

2) We have been using squid on the same machine to test offloading of
the tile.openstreetmap.org server. I've also been investigating using
delay pool to minimize the disruption that heavy tile scrapers cause.
At times I've overload the machine and have now scaled back.

/ Grant