[OSM-dev] Using relations to save data

Roland Olbricht roland.olbricht at gmx.de
Thu May 6 15:36:23 BST 2010

Am Dienstag, 4. Mai 2010 22:12:02 schrieb Andreas Kalsch:
> I am still reading some old mailing list posts ...
>
> What about a relation with type="data", which is a relation that can
> include tags and other relations recusively?

It is a really good idea to store definitions of tags directly into the
database, but relations leave some drawbacks open:

- A description might easily surpass 255 characters. Or you might want to use
markup (e.g. for a link or for emphasizing things).

- Often tags apply only to a part of the world. Or, even worse, do have
different meanings in different part of the worlds. Think of different
maxspeed restrictions on motorways in different parts of the world.

I'd encourage you to start using those relations now but we should have a more
versatile solution with the next API. See
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/API_v0.7#Classes

> > [1]http://www.remote.org/frederik/tmp/towards-a-new-data-model-for-osm.pdf

Looks interesting. But I thin it is largely outdated because it does not
consider relations. And, of course, a couple of new problems have arisen in
the meantime.

How about starting an updated version of that paper somewhere in the wiki or
elsewhere?

Cheers,

Roland