[OSM-dev] Points Of Interest

Richard Weait richard at weait.com
Mon May 10 11:28:44 BST 2010

On Mon, May 10, 2010 at 1:21 AM, Aditya Vikram Thoomati
<adivik2000 at hotmail.com> wrote:
> Hey,
>
>       I feel that the categories in the Points of Interest section are
> limited and there should be more for people to plot and add more data to the
> map.What say?? and any of you guys have an idea to improve the crowd source
> community in India??I really want OSM to reach the villages but got no clue
> of how to start off.People in India still prefer to stick to Google Maps and
> i want that to change.

Hello Aditya,

While our documentation may be sparse in places, tagging is free-form
so extensions and improvements to tagging for POI and anything else is
unrestricted.  That said, OSM as a community has a substantial
investment in existing tools, interfaces and habits.

Regarding community building in India, I see that there is an OSM list
for India here: http://lists.openstreetmap.org/listinfo/talk-in
While folks on the dev list are interested in community building, you
may find a larger audience for the discussion on talk, and or newbies.

Best regards,
Richard