[OSM-dev] Proposed change to JOSM

Jacob Rau jarau at mtu.edu
Wed May 26 13:08:17 BST 2010

It might be a bit more involved than I think, and I'll look at the source later (I am a fairly decent Java programmer) to see if I can manage it myself, but:

Currently when the user clicks a location, JOSM grabs for an object near the cursor. This makes it incredibly difficult to select a road running along an administrative boundary, for instance. The other obvious problem is the ambiguity between the road nodes are on and the nodes themselves.

I think the functionality should be to pop up a small menu with everything selectable at that point if the click is ambiguous. Either that, or the user can possibly hold Control or Alt or something, and this would always prompt for what the user wants to select at that point.

Sorry if this has already been proposed/discussed, as I've only been part of this project since yesterday :P

Jacob Rau