[OSM-dev] OAuth 401 Unauthorized

Christoph Bünte tiny-grasshopper at gmx.net
Fri May 28 11:02:40 BST 2010

Hi there,

I just started developing an osm client website. I Already registered this app with my osm account and got key and secret. When I try to create a request_token, the osm oauth service always returns a HTTP status code 401 Unauthorized. Is there anything wrong with my key and secret? Does it take a while to be activated?

This is my piece of ruby code, which is closely related to the OAuth example: http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/OAuth/Examples

consumer = OAuth::Consumer.new(oauth_key, oauth_secret, :site => 'http://www.openstreetmap.org')
consumer.get_request_token

But the second line always failes with an exception. I have installed the oauth gem version 0.4.0
Are there any known issues?

I appreciate any kind of help, links and whatsoever. I wasn't able to find something on the net specific to OSM.

Best regards

Christoph