[OSM-dev] OSM Mapnik Fonts are Nonsense

Peter Körner osm-lists at mazdermind.de
Tue Nov 2 22:26:50 GMT 2010

Am 02.11.2010 22:35, schrieb Jon Burgess:
> On Tue, 2010-11-02 at 21:14 +0000, maw269 at gmail.com wrote:
>> All the letters in Eastern Europe, Asia, the Middle East, North Africa
>> and similar areas that don't use the english alphabet, are nonsense.
>> See http://d.imagehost.org/0402/OSM.png
>>
>> Can someone please help me?
>
> That looks quite broken but I'm not convinced the issue is with Mapnik
> itself. Are you sure that the data was imported into postgres using a
> UTF8 database?

This is not necessary. On ptolemy, the wikimedia toolserver I missed to
create the table as UTF8 and we have multilingual rendering nevertheless:

http://toolserver.org/~osm/locale/?locale=ar
http://toolserver.org/~osm/locale/?locale=zh
http://toolserver.org/~osm/locale/?locale=el
http://toolserver.org/~osm/locale/?locale=ru

mazder at ptolemy:~$ psql -h sql-mapnik -d osm_mapnik
Welcome to psql 8.3.11, the PostgreSQL interactive terminal.

        \h for help with SQL commands
        \? for help with psql commands
        \q to quit

osm_mapnik=> \l