[OSM-dev] Multilingual Maps Overlays

"Marc Schütz" schuetzm at gmx.net
Wed Nov 3 10:30:35 GMT 2010

> 2010/11/3 Stefan Keller <sfkeller at gmail.com>:
> > 2. What about names in the local dialect (very important to me)? I'm
> > thinkin about 'Barça' for Barcelona, Spain, or 'Züri' which is Swiss
> > German for Zurich, Switzerland). How to tag those? => Something like
> > 'ch' plus a subdomain?
>

> You should differentiate between a "dialect" and a real language.
> While für languages there is name:XX (language code), for dialects you
> can use loc_name and alike.

No, this is _not_ the purpose of loc_name. In fact, loc_name/name/old_name/official_name... and language tags are completely orthogonal.

Dialects should be treated exactly like languages (the distinction is artifical anyway from a linguistic point of view): use name:...,old_name:... together with the ISO 639-1/2 code (which, admittedly, don't exist for most dialects).

You can probably use IETF language tags with regions, so for Züridütsch you would have:
gsw-x-zueri (gsw=Swiss German, x-zueri=private subtag Züri)

This probably works for Swiss German but in case of e.g. East Franconian (which doesn't have a language tag) you have to be careful to distinguish between Standard German as spoken in, say, Bayreuth, and East Franconian as spoken in Bayreuth. Thus you cannot simply use de-... for the latter, as it would mean the former.

See these pages for details:
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Multilingual_names
http://www.loc.gov/standards/iso639-2/php/code_list.php
http://www.langtag.net/